If you have severe signs of facial aging, such as midface sagging, hollow cheeks, and lax jowls, a standard facelift or mini facelift might not be enough. Dr. Erickson’s personalized SMAS facelift takes a decade or more off your face to help you look youthful and refreshed.
The Most Extensive Facelift Imaginable
As we age, our skin naturally starts to sag. This can be especially noticeable in the face, as it is constantly exposed to the elements. A facelift can surgically tighten the skin and muscles in the face to give it a more youthful appearance, combatting the effects of aging on your face. But sometimes, a standard facelift isn’t enough, especially if you have severe facial laxity and weak facial muscles. That’s where an SMAS facelift comes into the picture.
What is SMAS Facelift?
The SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) is a layer of tissue that extends from the deep muscles of the face to the superficial skin. It covers the entire face, including the cheeks, forehead, and mouth. As we age, the SMAS tissues weaken and lose their elasticity, leading to excessive nasolabial folds, marionette lines, jowls, and a double chin. The weakening of the SMAS layer often occurs in the later stages of life, usually after your late 50s or 60s.
A SMAS facelift is a comprehensive and detailed surgery that can reposition and tighten the underlying muscles and connective tissues. The procedure usually involves making incisions along the hairline, in front of and behind the ear, and under the chin, following which excess skin is trimmed, and the underlying muscles are tightened. This results in a much more youthful appearance on the face and a reduction in wrinkles and sagging skin.
Goals of SMAS Facelift:
- Correcting midface sagging
- Reducing excess nasolabial folds and marionette lines
- Trimming away excess skin tissues and fatty deposits
- Improving the contours of the cheeks
- Tightening loose, submental skin tissues and fat deposits
- Improving overall facial contours and structure
- Reducing forehead creases and wrinkles
- Taking a decade or more off the face
Candidates for SMAS Facelift:
- Have severe facial skin laxity and signs of aging
- Have deep nasolabial folds and marionette lines around the nose and mouth
- Have excess submental skin and fatty tissues around the neck and jawline
- Have deep and prominent jowls and sagging skin
- Want to improve the contours and tightness of the face
- Are in good overall health
- Are in their 60s or beyond
- Are nonsmokers or willing to stop smoking before and after the procedure
- Don’t have underlying medical conditions that preclude surgery
- Have realistic expectations from the SMAS facelift results
Consult Dr. Erickson
Dr. Erickson is a highly-skilled facial plastic surgeon specializing in cutting-edge surgical techniques. He performs the advanced SMAS facelift for patients with severe signs of aging, and only if he’s sure that other facelift techniques wouldn’t provide sufficient results. His personalized approach to facelifts ensures natural-looking results. Please schedule an appointment to explore your facelift options in Houston.